Monday, March 31, 2014

Learning Philosophy

Several of you expressed an interest in learning about apiculture (beekeeping) this quarter. Well, me too! John & I will be installing two new hives on the farm this spring and we've been doing a lot of research these past couple of months to try to figure out how we can best help the bees thrive once they get here. Most recently, I've been reading Michael Bush's "The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally." In the third chapter of this book, Bush details his philosophy of how to learn to be a good beekeeper. When I read it, I immediately thought of this class and the type of learning environment we will be creating through our various course activities, one within which I hope we will be making lots of mistakes, searching for connections within a chaotic mess of experiences and information, and practicing becoming resilient life-long learners.

Here's a link to Bush's philosophy on his website: http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslearning.htm. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment